ANGLIAE SCOTIAE & HIBERNIAE by Frederick de Wit c.1675
A superb 17th Century map of Great Britain and Ireland by Frederic de Wit. The wash colouring on the England part of the map shows the old Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia / Essex, Wessex and Sussex / Kent whilst on the Ireland part, the provinces of Ulster, Connaught, Leinster & Munster. The map is further embellished with a beautiful cartouche with mermaids, cherubs and the heraldic shield of the Royal House of Stuart (King Charles II).
Frederic de Wit was one of the leading Amsterdam map makers of the late 17th Century, the time when the Dutch were the masters in this field.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour*.
- Printed area is approximately 56cms by 48cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent borders Click on image for a better view.
- Full insured Postage included in the price.
- Guaranteed to be over 300 years old.
* Although the colouring is very much in the style found on de Wit maps there is no sign of ageing, namely verdigris browning. Purely for this reason I am selling it as later colour.