'AUSTRALIA.' by J. Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1855
A very decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Australia which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by J. Marchant & J. B. Allen) and published, originally, in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas -- and then later in The British Colonies; Their History, Extent, Condition and Resources (London & New York: John Tallis & co, 1855).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Australia' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Sydney, Australian parrots and cockatoos, kangaroos and Aboriginal natives of the 'Tribe of Bogan' and of the 'Australia Felix'.
- This is an original steel engraving with original and later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 3265cms by 25.6cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.