'AUSTRALIA' (with rare text) by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Australia which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by J. Marchant & J. B. Allen) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, 1851-1853). The original page of descriptive text which accompanied the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Australia' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Sydney, Australian parrots and cockatoos, kangaroos and Aboriginal natives of the 'Tribe of Bogan' and of the 'Australia Felix'.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.5cms by 25.8cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.