'AUSTRIA' ( including Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia etc.) by John Tallis / John Rapkin c.1851 (with rare text)
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Austrian Empire (including modern day Czech Republic, southern Poland, Croatia, Slovenia and Hungary) which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & J. H. Kernot) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of descriptive text which accompanied the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The Austria map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Vienna, St. Stephen's Cathedral and one entitled 'Return of the Sennerin'.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 33.3cms by 25.8cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.