'AUSTRIA' (including Hungary etc.) by John Tallis / John Rapkin c.1855
A detailed and decorative mid 19th century map of Austria (including Bohemia) which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren and J. H. Kernot and published in Thomas Wright's The Universal Pronouncing Dictionary (London: The London Printing Company). This map was originally produced for and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas*.
*The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The Austria map was typical of the many fine ones that appeared in this work with its ornamental border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are scenes of Vienna, St. Stephen's Cathedral and a rustic one entitled 'Return of the Sennerin'.
- This is an original steel engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 33.4cms by 26cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.