'BEDFORDIENSIS COMITATUS Anglis BEDFORD SHIRE' by Joan Blaeu c.1672 (Spanish Text)
A very attractive, finely engraved and beautifully hand coloured 17th century map of Bedfordshire which appeared in Joan Blaeu's Atlas Maior (Amsterdam: 1672 [Spanish text edition]).
Joan Blaeu (1596-1673). The Blaeu workshop, based in Amsterdam, produced the most magnificent atlases and maps of the period, the time in which the Netherlands was experiencing its 'Golden Age' in art, science and commerce. A true perfectionist, Blaeu used only the best engravers, printers and colourists and only the finest materials, including paper, to produce his atlases.
In 1645 he published a county atlas of England & Wales as part of his 'Theatrum Orbis Terrarum' series. Each map epitomised the craftsmanship and artistry of the Blaeu workshop being finely detailed with ornate cartouches, cherubs, heraldic shields and calligraphy. Later in 1662, the maps reappeared in volume five of his 'Atlas Maior' which is perhaps the finest cartographic work ever produced in the history of map making.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.5cms by 45cms*.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 300 years old.
*This map was printed on one side of a folio sheet of paper hence its smaller dimensions to other Blaeu maps.