'BOWLES'S NEW MEDIUM MAP OF NORTHAMPTON SHIRE, DIVIDED into its HUNDREDS' by E. & T. Bowen c.1785
An interesting and attractive late 18th century map of Northamptonshire which was originally produced by Emanuel and Thomas Bowen and published in Bowles's New Medium English Atlas (London: Carrington Bowles, 1785).
Emanuel Bowen (fl. 1714-1767) was among the most renowned and prolific map engravers of the 18th century. Along with Thomas Kitchin and his son, Thomas Bowen, he produced some of the finest maps and atlases of the period. His recognition was such that he was appointed Geographer to both George II of Great Britain and Louis XV of France. Despite his many achievements, however, he never enjoyed lasting financial success and died in great poverty.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 22.3cms by 32.6cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; central fold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 200 years old.