'CAMBRIDGESHIRE By John Cary, Engraver.' c.1787 / 1788 ('New & Correct English Atlas')
A finely engraved and accurate 18th century map of Cambridgeshire which appeared in John Cary's New & Correct English Atlas* (London: J. Cary, 1787/1788). John Cary (c.1754-1835) is generally regarded as one of the greatest names in British cartography as his maps are unsurpassed for their quality, craftsmanship and detail. The original page of text which accompanies the map is included with the purchase.
First published in 1787/88, Cary's New & Correct English Atlas was the most revolutionary county atlas ever printed. The quaintness and charm in earlier mapmaking was replaced with a scientific rationality that emphasised detail, clarity and accuracy. Cary set a standard thereafter which other Cartographers were to follow, most notably, the Ordnance Survey.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 21cms by 26.7cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. There is some light scuffing near the top right border. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 200 years old.