'CASTLE FORBES.' by A. F. Lydon / B. Fawcett / F. O. Morris c.1864-1880.
A very attractive late 19th century view of Castle Forbes near Alford, Aberdeenshire, Scotland which appeared in the Reverend F. O. Morris's The County Seats of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland* (London: 1864-1880).
*Drawn by Francis Lydon and printed by Benjamin Fawcett, the plates from this series were produced by a technique known as 'Chromoxylography', an early form of colour printing based on the Baxter process. Each plate comprises of eight or more different colours which were applied by separate woodblocks. The overall detail, richness and quality, however, was down to the combined abilities of both Lydon as a draughtsman and Fawcett as a printer. Morris's work ran into six volumes with a total of 240 coloured plates being produced.
- This is an original chromoxylograph.
- Printed area is approximately 19cms by 15.9cms (includes title).
- The item is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame acid free mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 125 years old.