'CENTRAL AMERICA' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.185
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of 'Central America' (Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua) which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles & G. R. Mainwaring) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Central America' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of 'Belise' (Belize City), the volcano of 'Isalco' (Izalco) and the Great Square of the Antigua, Guatemala.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.8cms by 26.1cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; central fold as issued. There is some minor offset which shows up more in the image. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.