'CEYLON.' (Sri Lanka) by J. Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851 (with rare text)
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles) and published in John Tallis & Co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of descriptive text which accompanied the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Ceylon' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the ruins of a dagoba at Thuparamaya, a Buddhist Temple, the Lake of Kandy, Adam's Peak and the City of Columbo.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 23.6cms by 34.4cms (including publisher's imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.