'CHINA AND BIRMAH' (with rare text) by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of China and Burma which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by A. H. Wray & J. B. Allen) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851). The rare page of text relating to the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Ireland' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Hong Kong, British factories in Canton, a pagoda, Chinese soldiers and Chinese noblemen.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 33.1cms by 25.4cms.
- The map is in very good condition. The bottom paper margin is close to the decorative border.. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.