'CONTINENT ARCTIQUE' by A. M. Mallet c.1683
A very attractive late 17th century map of the Arctic, with the surrounding continents and islands (including Greenland and Iceland), which appeared in Alain Manesson Mallet's Description de l'Univers (Paris: 1683-88). An Interesting feature is the depiction of California which was then believed to be an island separate from North America. The limited geographic knowledge is further demonstrated by the incomplete coastlines of northern North America, Greenland and 'Terre de Jesso' or Japan.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 10.5cms by 17.3cms.
- The map is in very good condition with excellent margins. There is some slight staining in the paper but this does not detract. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on' Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 300 years old.