'DEVONSHIRE by Rob.rt Morden.' c.1722
An interesting and attractive map of Devon, first published by Robert Morden in 1695, which appeared in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695 - 1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular example is from the 1722 edition as it has the 'horse in the 3" circle' watermark in the paper. This is one of the few cases where a watermark can be used to precisely date a map.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 41.5cms by 35.9cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; there is some very minor staining / age toning. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 290 years old.