'DEVONSHIRE by Rob.rt Morden.' c.1730
An interesting and attractive map of Devon, first published by Robert Morden in 1695, which appeared in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695 - 1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular map comes from the comparatively rare 1730 edition.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 41.5cms by 35.9cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; there is some very minor offset. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 280 years old.