'DORSET SHIRE' by J. Owen & E. Bowen c.1720
A charming 18th Century map of Dorset which appeared in John Owen & Emanuel Bowen's pocket road atlas, Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd (London: T. Bowles, 1720-c.1764).
Britannia Depicta (1720-1764) was one of the most popular atlases of the 18th century being published in many editions for close to fifty years.The maps themselves were engraved by Emanuel Bowen (1694?-1767) who was one of the most renowned and prolific map makers of the period. As with many of his maps, he has included copious amounts of text -- written by John Owen -- describing the county.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed areas are approximately 11.5cms by 18.3cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 250 years old.