'DORSETSHIRE by JOHN CARY Engraver Corrected by Mr. E. Boswell' c.1795
A finely engraved and accurate late 18th century map of Dorset which appeared in John Cary's New & Correct English Atlas* (London: J. Cary, 1795). John Cary (c.1754-1835) is generally regarded as one of the greatest names in British cartography as his maps are unsurpassed for their quality, craftsmanship and detail.
*First published in 1787/88, Cary's 'New & Correct English Atlas' was the most revolutionary county atlas ever printed. The quaintness and charm in earlier mapmaking was replaced with a scientific rationality that emphasised detail, clarity and accuracy. Cary set a standard thereafter which other Cartographers were to follow, most notably, the Ordnance Survey; indeed, the atlas proved so popular, that for the 1809 edition, an entirely new set of maps had to be engraved as the original plates had become so worn!
- This is an original copperplate engraving with fine original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 26.7cms by 21.7cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 200 years old.