'DURHAM' by Thomas Read (John Rocque) c.1769
An attractive and neatly engraved 18th century map of Durham, by Thomas Read*, which appeared in P. Russell & O. Price's England Display'd (London: Adlard & Browne, 1769).
*These maps are often attributed to John Rocque, an eminent Georgian cartographer of Huguenot descent; in reality, he was only a later publisher. Thomas Read, the original printer, was the main force in the production of the atlas. The maps themselves are based largely on those done by Herman Moll in 1708.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 19.5cms by 15.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 240 years old.