'ENGLAND AND WALES.' by J. Rapkin / J. & F. Tallis c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of England and Wales which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by N. Whittock & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'England and Wales' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of London, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Oxford, Sunderland Bridge, Portsmouth Harbour and Doncaster Racecourse.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 25.3cms by 34.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centre fold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.