'ENVIRONS OF THE LAKES.' [The Lake District] by G. & J. Cary c.1826
An interesting and finely engraved early 19th century map of the Lake District, Cubria (Formerly Cumberland and Westmorland) which was published in George and John Cary's New Itinerary, Or Accurate Delineation Companion Of The Great Roads, Both Direct And Cross Throughout England and Wales ... (London:G. & J. Cary, 1826).
John Cary (c.1754-1835) was probably the best English map maker who ever lived as his maps were unsurpassed for there detail, accuracy and clarity. His prolific output had a profound effect on other map makers of the period, in particular, the Ordnance Survey
- This is an original steel engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 21.7cms by 17.5cms (including title & imprint).
- The engraving is in very good condition. There are two vertical folds and the left margin is close, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame acid free mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 190 years old.