'ESSEX' by Reuben Ramble c.1845
A rare, attractive and unusual 19th Century map of Essex which appeared in Reuben Ramble's Travels through the Counties of England (London: Darton & Clark, 1845-1850). The original page of text which accompanies the map is included with the purchase.
'Reuben Ramble' was the pseudonym of the Reverend Samuel Clark who produced this work to help educate children in national and local geography. Each county is represented by a small but detailed map surrounded with various topographical images -- in the case of Essex, this includes a number of agricultural and maritime views. As children have a tendency to maltreat their books, the maps from this series are comparatively rare to find.
- This is an original lithograph with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 19.5cms by 15.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with close but adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.