'ESSEXIAE' (Essex) by Pieter Van Den Keere (Mercator/Hondius/Jansson atlas) c.1651
A detailed and attractive mid 17th Century map of Essex which was engraved by Pieter Van Den Keere (Petrus Kaerius) and published in the Mercator / Hondius / Jansson Atlas Minor (Amsterdam:1651). This particular map, along with a select number of counties, appeared in only the last edition of the atlas and is consequently very rare to find.
Pieter Van Den Keere (c.1571-1646) had a long and illustrious career as an engraver. His works included the maps in the so called 'Miniature Speed' county atlas and then later 'Miniature Prospect' world atlas. The county maps in the Atlas Minor were engraved when he was well into his seventies and perhaps his last work.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 20cms by 16.5cms.
- The item is in very good condition with decent margins. There are some very minor water stains. Click on image for a better view.
- The map comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 360 years old.