'FALKLAND ISLANDS AND PATAGONIA' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1853
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of the Falkland Islands and Patagonia which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles & W. Lacey) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1853).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Falkland Islands & Patagonia' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its highly decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the Jason Islands, Penguins, Sea Eagles, 'Fugeans' and Christmas Sound, Tierra Del Fuego.
- This is an original steel engraving with original & later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 25.5cms by 35cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centr fold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.