'FLINT Comitatus quem ORDOVICES olim Incoluerunt' [Flintshire] by Saxton / Kip c.1610 / 1637
A very attractive early 17th Century map of Flintshire (Welsh: Sir y Fflint) which was based on the first survey of the county by Christopher Saxton and engraved by William Kip for William Camden's Britannia* (London: 1607-1637). As well as still being the earliest printed map of Flintshire at an 'affordable' price it is also the first detailed one dedicted solely to the county.
This particular example is either from the 1610 or 1637 edition which was issued without text on the reverse. Unlike most, a plate number wasn't added to the Flint map in the 1637 edition.
*'Britannia', first published in 1586, was one of the most popular and influential books of the period. The work of the Elizabethan antiquarian, William Camden (1551-1623), it was a detailed historical and topographical description of Great Britain. Its patriotic sentiments, in particular, both appealed to and generated the growing sense of nationalism that was coursing through late Tudor / early Stuart society. Between 1607 and 1637, county maps engraved by William Kip and William Hole, and based largely on Saxton's surveys, were added. These maps have the distinction of being the first set to show each county individually as opposed to several being grouped together on one page. Camden's Britannia continued to be published well into the 19th century; from 1695 to 1772, county maps by Robert Morden were used, and from 1789 to c.1815, those by the renowned John Cary.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 31.9cms by 26.4cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centre fold, as issued. Click on image for better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 375 years old.