'HERTFORD SHIRE Drawn from an Actual SURVEY' by Emanuel Bowen (ex Universal Magazine) c.1751
A very attractive and uncommon 18th century map of Hertfordshire which was engraved by Emanuel Bowen and published in the Universal Magazine of Knowledge and Pleasure (London: J. Hinton, January 1751).
Emanuel Bowen (fl. 1714-1767) was among the most renowned and prolific map engravers of the 18th century. Along with Thomas Kitchin and his son, Thomas Bowen, he produced some of the finest maps and atlases of the period. His recognition was such that he was appointed Geographer to both George II of Great Britain and Louis XV of France. Despite his many achievements, however, he never enjoyed lasting financial success and died in great poverty.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 20cms by 18.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 250 years old.