'HERTFORD SHIRE By Robt. Morden' c.1722
A detailed and attractive county map of Hertfordshire, first published by Robert Morden in 1695, which appeared in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695 - 1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular example comes from the 1722 edition as it has the 'Spread Eagle' watermark in the paper; this is one of the few casea where a watermark can be used to date a map precisely.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 44.6cms by 36.6cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins; centefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 290 years old. .