'HERTFORD SHIRE By Robt. Morden' c.1753-1772
A detailed and attractive county map of Hertfordshire, first published by Robert Morden in 1695, which appeared in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695 - 1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular example comes from the 1753 (or later) edition which had revisions made to the plate, e.g. 'East Wick' was changed to 'East Wie'.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 44.3cms by 36.2cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; vertical folds, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 240 years old. .