'HERTFORDSHIRE' (Fox Hunting Map) By J. & C. Walker c.1870s
An interesting 19th century fox hunting map of Hertfordshire which was produced by J. & C. Walker and published in Hobson's* Fox Hunting Atlas; Containing Separate Maps Of Every County in England **(London: J. & C. Walker, 1849-1882).
**The maps from this series, which are lithographic transfers, were taken from the original steel plates engraved by J. & C. Walker for their 'British Atlas' (first published in 1837) Additional information was then added so as to highlight the 'places of the meeting of foxhounds' and to display the county's various hunts -- in the case of Hertfordshire, this includes the Baron Rothchild, the Mr. Leigh, the Puckeridge and part of the Cambridgeshire. The map also lists the county's population (167,298 as of the 1871 Census), the number of M.P.s returned and shows the extensive railway network that existed in the late 19th century.
- This is an original lithographic transfer with original colour.
- Printed area is approximately 40.5cms by 33.3cms
- The item is in very good condition with decent margins; centrefolded, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 130 years old.
*Also published under the title Walker's Fox Hunting Atlas...