'HUNGARY' (with text) by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Hungary (including Croatia and Transylvania) which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851). The original page of descriptive text which accompanied the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Hungary' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of 'Pesth and the fortress of Buda' (Budapest), Hungarian peasants, Hungarian nobles and a scene on the Danube.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.3cms by 24.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.