'IRELAND.' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1853
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Ireland which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by J. Marchant & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Ireland' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin; Limerick Castle; the Round Tower, Wicklow; the Holy Well; and Ross Castle, by Killarney Lake.
- This is an original steel engraving with later & original hand colour.*
- Printed area is approximately 23.4cms by 34.6cms.
- The map is in very good condition; centrefolded and with a close top margin, as issued. The paper is slightly age toned. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.
* The outline colour on the map itself is original whereas the colour in the vignettes and border is later.