'IRELAND' by John Thomson / Neale c.1815
A very detailed and finely produced early 19th century map of Ireland which was engraved by Joshua Neele and published in Thomson's New General Atlas of the World (Edinburgh: John Thomson & Co., c.1814-1828).
John Thomson (1777-1837) was an Edinburgh based Scottish cartographer and publisher. Along with names such as John Pinkerton and John Cary, he redefined early 19th century cartography and helped establish Britain as the world leader in map making. Whereas earlier maps had had an ornamental charm, Thomson's were based on a scientific rationale that demanded detail, quality and accuracy. His most celebrated work was his ''New General Atlas' which was published from 1814 to 1828 and is particularly noted for its fine original hand / wash colour.
- This is an original copper engraving with fine original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 50cms by 60.2cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. There is a small repaired split in the left centre fold just entering the border. There is also some slight ink offset -- as with most Thomson maps -- which is less pronounced in natural light. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 185 years old.