'ISLANDS IN THE INDIAN OCEAN' by John Tallis / John Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of the Islands of the Indian Ocean -- including an inset of Mauritius -- which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Islands in the Indian Ocean' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Port Louis, Mautitius; Point De Galle, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka); North Beach, Prince of Wales Island (now Penang Island, Malaysia); the Fall of the River Roche, Isle of Bourbon (now Reunion Island) and a native village in Madagascar.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.6cms by 36.4cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins; centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.