'ISTHMUS OF PANAMA.' (with rare text) by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A highly decorative and finely engraved mid 19th century map of 'The Isthmus of Panama' which was engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & J. Wrightson) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). A rare page of text relating to the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Isthmus of Panama' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the 'Fort at Chagres' (Fort San Lorenzo) and gold seekers on their way over the cordilleras. An additional feature is the depiction of the proposed railway and canal link between the Atlantic and Pacific.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 33.1cms by 25cms (not including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.