'THE LAKES OF CUMBERLAND, WESTMORELAND, &c.' by J. Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of the Lake District (Cumbria) which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Bibby) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). This particular map only appeared in a few of the editions of the atlas and is consequently rarer to find.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'The Lakes' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Carlisle Castle; Skiddaw, near Keswick; Ambleside; Derwent Water; the Crown Hotel, Bowness, Windermere; the Crown Hotel, Windermere and Lancaster Castle.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.9cms by 35.4cms (not including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.