'LINCOLN: SHIRE' by Robert Morden c.1722
An interesting and attractive county map of Lincolnshire which was originally produced by Robert Morden in 1695* and published in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695-1722). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
*This particular map is from the 1722 edition which has the distinct 'horse in a 3" circle' watermark -- one of the few instances where a watermark can be used to date a map accurately.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 42cms by 36.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; central fold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 295 years old.