'Ludlow Castle, Shropshire.' by J. M. W. Turner / R. Wallis c.1831 / 1832
A rare and attractive early 19th century view of Ludlow Castle, Shropshire which was taken from the original watercolour by J. M. W. Turner, engraved by R. Wallis and published in Picturesque Views of England and Wales (London: Moon, Boys & Graves, 1832-1838).J. M. W. Turner's 'Picturesque Views in England and Wales' is arguably the finest and most ambitious series of British topographical engravings ever produced on copper. The work began in 1826, when Turner, in collaboration with the engraver, Charles Heath and the print-sellers Jennings & co., planned to produce 120 engravings of British towns, landscapes and ancient buildings based on his own watercolours and illustrations. To ensure the engravings were of the highest quality, Turner supervised and worked closely with the various engravers involved in the project . Even though there would have been difficulties interpreting his work to copper, the results were breathtaking. Turner's style and influence could be clearly seen and proved that with the right guidance and skill, copper engraving could reproduce the aesthetic quality of his masterpieces. The first engravings appeared in 1827 with the first complete volume of sixty plates published in 1832. The 'Picturesque Views' ,however, proved too ambitious and was a financial disaster. In 1838, the project was aborted with only ninety-six of the intended engravings produced. In order to prevent the plates falling into other hands, Turner acquired them for three thousand pounds at auction and never allowed them to be republished, thus ensuring their rarity.
- This is an original etching / copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 23.6cms by 18.8cms (including title & imprint).
- The etching / engraving is in very good condition with excellent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 175 years old.