'MALAY ARCHIPELAGO, OR EAST INDIA ISLANDS' (including Indo-China & The Philippines) by John Tallis c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of modern day Malaysia, Thailand, Indo-China, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea and the Philippines which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren and J. Smith) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Malay Archipelago and East India Islands' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of natives of New Guinea; 'the bee bear'; Mount Victoria, New Guinea and a settlement near Sarawak, Borneo.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 34.5cms by 26.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins, centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.