'A Map of HERTFORDSHIRE from the Best Authorities' by J. Cary /J. Stockdale c.1806
An attractive and detailed map of Hertfordshire, engraved by the renowned John Cary, which appeared in Richard Gough's new translation of Camden's Britannia (London: John Stockdale, 1805-c.1812)
John Cary was probably the best English map maker who ever lived as his maps were unsurpassed for their detail, accuracy and clarity. The maps engraved for Camden's Britannia were produced for a new translation of the work by Richard Gough and to replace the now worn Robert Morden plates.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with original and later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 50.5cms by 39.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. There are a few minor marginal tears well away from the plate mark and map. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 200 years old.