'A MAP OF NORTHAMPTON SHIRE' by Owen & Bowen c.1720-1764
A charming 18th Century map of Northamptonshire which appeared in a pocket road atlas entitled Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd (London: T. Bowles, 1720-1764). The maps from this atlas were engraved by Emanuel Bowen who was one of the most prolific and renowned map makers of the period. As with many of his maps, he has included a paragraph of text -- written by John Owen -- describing the county. The mileage chart relates to the road from London to Buckingham whilst on the reverse of the map, the route from London to Amersham is displayed - uncoloured.
- Original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 11.5cms by 18.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins Click on image for better view
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs
- Guaranteed to be at least 250 years old