'A MAP OF SURREY' by J. Owen & E. Bowen c.1720-1764 (double sided)
An interesting and attractive 18th Century map of Surrey which was published in J. Owen & E. Bowen's pocket road atlas, Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd (London: T. Bowles: 1724). On the reverse of the map the road from Guildford to Chichester -- via Godalming, Chiddingfold and Midhurst -- is displayed (see image).
Britannia Depicta (1720-1764) was one of the most popular atlases of the 18th century being published in many editions for close to fifty years.The maps themselves were engraved by Emanuel Bowen (1694?-1767) who was one of the most renowned and prolific map makers of the period. As with many of his maps, he has included copious amounts of text -- written by John Owen -- describing the county.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed areas are approximately 11.4cms by 18.1cms and 11.7cms by 17.6cms respectively.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for better view
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 280 years old.