'Monmouth Shire' by Pieter Van Den Keere ('Miniature Speed') c.1646
A finely engraved and charming 17th century map of Monmouthshire which appeared in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland Described and Abridged... from a Farr Larger Voulume Done by John Speed (London: G. Humble, 1627-1646).
The maps from this series were originally engraved in Amsterdam sometime between 1599 and 1605 by the the renowned Dutch engraver, Pieter Van Den Keere (Latin name: Petrus Kaerius). The plates were then acquired by the publisher George Humble who issued them in a 'pocket atlas' to accompany the larger Speed maps, hence 'miniature Speed'.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 12.3cms by 8.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. There is some very minor show through from the text on the verso. Click on image for better view
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs
- Guaranteed to be over 350 years old