'NEWCASTLE ON TYNE.' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century plan of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland (now Tyne & Wear) which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The Newcastle plan was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the Castle, Grey Monument, High Level Bridge, a railway bridge and Central Station
- This is an original steel engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 33.2cms by 25.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins; centrefolded, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.