'NORTH AMERICA.' by J. Tallis & Co. c.1851 (with rare page of text)
A detailed and decorative mid 19th century map of North America which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by J. Marchant and J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of text that accompanies the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The North America map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Niagara Falls, Mount Hekla (Iceland), a 'Convoy of Diamonds', an ancient monument in Mexico, a wapiti deer, beavers, North American Indians, an Eskimo dog sledge and, interestingly, Cossacks in 'Russian America' (Alaska).
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.2cms by 35.9cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.