'NORTHERN AFRICA' (Morrocco Algeria & Tunisia) by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Northern Africa (Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia) which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles & G. Greatbach) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Northern Africa' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the Cities of Mogador (Essaouira), Marocco (Marrakech), Algiers and Tunis.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.8cms by 25.6cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.