'NORTHERN ITALY' by John Tallis / John Rapkin c.1851
A highly decorative mid 19th century map of Northern Italy which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by A. H. Wray & J. B. Allen) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The Northern Italy map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its ornamental border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are fine views of St. Peter's, Rome; the Grand Canal, Venice and a religious procession.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 31.5cms by 24.3cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.