'NORTHUMBER:LAND' by Pieter Van Den Keere ('Miniature Speed') c.1627
A finely engraved and charming 17th century map of Northumberland which appeared in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland Described and Abridged... from a Farr Larger Voulume Done by John Speed (London: G. Humble, 1627-1646).
The maps from this series were originally engraved between 1599 and 1605 in Amsterdam by the renowned Dutch engraver, Pieter Van Den Keere (Latin name: Petrus Kaerius). The plates were then acquired by John Speed's publisher, George Humble, who issued them in a 'pocket atlas' to accompany the larger Speed maps, hence 'Miniature Speed'.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 12.3cms by 8.6cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. There is some very light soiling and minor show through from the text on the verso. Click on image for better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 350 years old.