'NOTTINGHAM SHIRE by Rob.t Morden' c.1695
An interesting and attractive late 17th century map of Nottinghamshire which was produced by Robert Morden and published in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695 - 1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular map comes from the 1695 edition which had a number of errors including Gamston being described as 'Gremston'.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 41.8cms by 34.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins; central fold, as issued. Slight age toning. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 300 years old.