'OXONIUM Comitatus vulgo OXFORD SHIRE' by Jan Jansson c.1646-1666
A very attractive and finely engraved 17th century map of Oxfordshire displaying the various coats of arms of the colleges which was printed and published by Jan Jansson for his Atlas Novus (Amsterdam: [Blank verso] 1646-1666). Jan Jansson (1588-1664) was one of the leading Dutch map makers in the period in which the Netherlands was enjoying its 'Golden Age' in commerce, trade, art, science and especially, cartography.
Of additional interest is on the verso, the publisher/original owner has handwritten the title of the map in an elegant style -- see above image.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with fine later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 48.6cms by 38.1cms.
- The map is in very good condition with excellent margins. The paper is slightly age toned -- as with all Jansson maps. There are a couple of minor printers' creases and one inconspicuous iron mould stain. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 350 years old.