'THE PHENOMENA OF VOLCANIC ACTION Showing the Regions visited by EARTHQUAKES AND... VOLCANOES...' by Petermann / Johnston c.1848
A very interesting and detailed large 19th century worldwide map, showing the regions affected by earthquakes and volcanoes, which was drawn by A. Petermann, engraved by W. & A. K. Johnston and published in The Physical Atlas of Natural Phenomena (Edinburgh: W. & A. K. Johnston and Cowan & Co. Glasgow: James Lumsden & Son, 1848). Along with a general world map, there are insets of Iceland, the North Island of New Zealand, the Canaries, the Hawaiian Islands, the Greek Islands, Lower Italy, the East Indies and Central / South America with the West Indies. Two attractive vignette views depict the volcanoes, 'Jorulla' in Mexico and 'Tankuban Prahu' [Tangkuban Perahu] in Java.
- This is an original steel engraving with original outline hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 60.8cms by 51.2cms.
- The engraving is in very good condition with decent margins; centre fold, as issued. There is a minor (repaired) split to the top of the fold. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 165 years old.