Plate 31: Shropshire / Herefordshire / Montgomeryshire / Radnorshire by J. Cary c.1794
A finely engraved, detailed and accurate late 18th Century map showing the area around east Montgomeryshire, south Shropshire, east Radnorshire and north Herefordshire which was published in John Cary's New Map of England and Wales with part of Scotland (London: J. Cary, 1794). This atlas was ahead of its time in that in showed the country in a series of uniform grid maps instead of by individual county; the style of mapping which was to be employed later by the Ordnance Survey. This was also the first British atlas to recognise the Greenwich Meridian.
John Cary (c.1754-1835) was probably the best English map maker who ever lived as his maps were unsurpassed for there detail, accuracy and clarity. His prolific output had a profound effect on other map makers of the period, in particular, the Ordnance Survey.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 20.6cms by 26.2cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition, decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 200 years old.